The ambience and friendliness of a characteristic Welsh village can be found in the little hamlet of Frongoch. In 1896 the stills of The Frongoch Whisky Distillery had fallen silent and because the location was so remote coupled with the size and scale of the existing factory structure the site was deemed suitable to be transformed into an internment camp for German prisoners during the war, 1800 captives were there at one time, until they were sent to another camp in anticipation of the arrival of Irish rebels. Frongoch re-opened for Irish prisoners on 9 June 1916.